Undergraduate Research Program Training and Research Experiences in Nonlinear Dynamics (TREND)
Publications in Refereed Journals | Presentations at Conferences | Invited Talks
Publications in Refereed Journals
- "Resynchronization of circadian oscillators and the east-west asymmetry of jet-lag," Zhixin Lu, Kevin Klein-Cardeña, Steven Lee, Thomas M. Antonsen, Michelle Girvan, and Edward Ott, Chaos 26, 094811 (2016). doi:10.1063/1.4954275.
- "Impact of Imperfect Information on Network Attack," Andrew Melchionna, Jesus Caloca, Shane Squires, Thomas M. Antonsen, Edward Ott, and Michelle Girvan, Phys. Rev. E 91, 032807 (2015). doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.91.032807.
- "Experimental Measurements of Orientation and Rotation of Dense 3D Packings of Spheres," Matt Harrington, Michael Lin, Kerstin N. Nordstrom, and Wolfgang Losert, Granular Matter 16, 185 (2014). doi:10.1007/s10035-013-0474-0.
- "Granular Dynamics During Impact," K N. Nordstrom, E Lim, M. Harrington, and W. Losert, Phys. Rev. Lett. 112, 228002 (2014). doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.112.228002.
- "Modeling HIF Relevant Longitudinal Dynamics in UMER," B. Beaudoin, S. Bernal, C. Blanco, I. Haber, R. A. Kishek, T. Koeth, and Y. Mo, Nucl. Instrum. Methods A 733, 178-181 (2014). doi:10.1016/j.nima.2013.05.077.
- "Lifetime and Quantum Efficiency Advances in Self-Healing Controlled Porosity Reservoir Photocathodes," Eric J. Montgomery, Blake C. Riddick, Donald W. Feldman, Alexandra Boldin, R. Lawrence Ives, and Louis R. Falce, Vacuum Electronics Conference Proceedings, IEEE International, IEEE (2014).
- "Weakly Explosive Percolation in Directed Networks," Shane Squires, Katherine Sytwu, Diego Alcala, Thomas M. Antonsen, Edward Ott, and Michelle Girvan, Phys. Rev. E 87, 052127 (2013). doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.87.052127.
- "Spatially Embedded Growing Small-World Networks," Ari Zitin, Alex Gorowara, Shane Squires, Mark Herrera, Thomas M. Antonsen, Michelle Girvan and Edward Ott, Scientific Reports (2013).
- "Characterizing the Rheology of Fluidized Granular Matter," K. W. Desmond, U. Villa, M. Newey, and W. Losert, Phys. Rev. E 88, 032202 (2013). doiI:10.1103/PhysRevE.88.032202.
- "Multiscale Dynamics in Communities of Phase Oscillators," Dustin Anderson, Ari Tenzer, Gilad Barlev, Michelle Girvan, Thomas M. Antonsen, and Edward Ott, Chaos 22, 013102 (2012). doi:10.1063/1.3672513.
- "Local Synchronization in Complex Networks of Coupled Oscillators," John Stout, Matthew Whiteway, Edward Ott, Michelle Girvan, and Thomas M. Antonsen, Chaos 21, 025109 (2011). doi:10.1063/1.3581168.
- "Fast Physical Random Number Generator Using Amplified Spontaneous Emission," Caitlin R.S. Williams, Julia C. Salevan, Xiaowen W. Li, Rajarshi Roy, Thomas E. Murphy, Optics Express 18 , 23584 (2010). doi:10.1364/OE.18.023584.
- "Map Model for Synchronization of Systems of Many Coupled Oscillators," Gilad Barlev, Michelle Girvan, and Edward Ott, Chaos 20, 023109 (2010). doi:10.1063/1.3357983.
- "A Magnetic Reconnection Mechanism for the Generation of Anomalous Cosmic Rays," J. F. Drake, Merav Opher, Marc Swisdak, and J. N. Chamoun, Astrophys. J. 709, 963 (2010).
- "External Periodic Driving of Large Systems of Globally Coupled Phase Oscillators," T. M. Antonsen, R. T. Faghih, M. Girvan, E. Ott, and J. Platig, Chaos, 18 (2008). doi:10.1063/1.2952447.
- "Echo Phenomena in Large Systems of Coupled Oscillators," E. Ott, J. H. Platig, T. M. Antonsen, M. Girvan, Chaos 18 (2008). doi:10.1063/1.2973816.
- "Application of a General Electron Emission Equation to Surface Nonuniformity and Current Density Variation," K. L. Jensen, J. J. Petillo, E. J. Montgomery, Z. Pan, D. W. Feldman, P. G. O'Shea, et al., J. Vac. Sci. and Technol. B 26 , 831-837 (2008). doi:10.1116/1.2827508.
- "Low Workfunction Surface Coatings for Dispenser Photocathodes in Radio Frequency Photoinjectors," Nathan A. Moody, Donald W. Feldman, Patrick G. O'Shea, Kevin L. Jensen, Joan E. Yater, Jonathan L. Shaw, and Anne M. Balter, J. Directed Energy 2 , ISSN:1546-0185, 243 (2007).
- "Isochronal Synchrony and Bidirectional Communication with Delay-Coupled Nonlinear Oscillators," Brian B. Zhou and Rajarshi Roy, Phys. Rev. E 75, 026205 (2007). doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.75.026205.
- "Synchronization of Unidirectionally Coupled Mackey-Glass Analog Circuits with Frequency Bandwidth Limitations," Min-Young Kim, Christopher Sramek, Atsushi Uchida, and Rajarshi Roy, Phys. Rev. E 74, 016211 (2006). doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.74.016211.
- "Visualizing the Invisible: Ultrasound Velocimetry in Liquid Sodium," Barbara E. Brawn, Kaveri Joshi, Daniel P. Lathrop, Nicolas Mujica, and Daniel R. Sisan, Chaos 15, 041104 (2005). doi:10.1063/1.2126811.
- "Bandwidth Studies of TEOn - TEO(n+1) Ripple-Wall Mode Converters in Circular Waveguide," W. Lawson, M. Esteban, H. Raghunathan, B. Hogan, and K. Bharathan, IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech 53 , 372-379 (2005). doi:10.1109/TMTT.2004.839939.
- "Production of Energetic Electrons during Magnetic Reconnection", J. F. Drake, M. A. Shay, W. Thongthai, and M. Swisdak, Phys. Rev. Lett. 94, 095001 (2005). doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.94.095001.
- "Transition from Anti-parallel to Component Magnetic Reconnection", M. Swisdak, J. F. Drake, J. McIlhargey, and M. A. Shay, J. Geophys. Res 110, A05210 (2005). doi:10.1029/2004JA010748.
- "Space-Charge-Limited Magnetron Injection Guns for High-Power Gyrotrons," W. Lawson. H. Raghunathan, and M. Esteban, IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci. 32, 1236-1241 (2004). doi:10.1109/TPS.2004.828780.
- "Segregation in a Monolayer of Magnetic Spheres," J. Stambaugh, Z. Smith, E. Ott, and W. Losert, Phys. Rev. E 70, 031304 (2004). doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.70.031304.
- "Generalized Synchronization of Spatiotemporal Chaos in a Liquid Crystal Spatial Light Modulator," E. Rogers, R. Kalra, R. Schroll, A. Uchida, D. Lathrop, and R. Roy, Phys. Rev. Lett. 93, 084101 (2004). doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.93.084101.
Top of page
Presentations at Conferences
- "The amplification of intrinsic noise by chaos in an optoelectronic feedback loop," Kevin Fei, Joe Hart, Thomas Murphy and Rajarshi Roy, Dynamics Days 2017, January 4-6, 2017, Silver Spring, MD.
- "Modeling the Network Dynamics of Pulse Coupled Neurons," David Hathcock, Kimberly Crain, Sarthak Chandra, Thomas Antonsen, Edward Ott and Michelle Girvan, Dynamics Days 2017, January 4-6, 2017, Silver Spring, MD.
- "Development of Exploding Wire Plasma System for Studying Magnetic Reconnection," Savannah Gowen, Matthew Adams, Douglas Stone and Dan Lathrop, 69th Annual Meeting of the APS Division of Fluid Dynamics, November 20-22, 2016, Portland, OR.
- "Experimental Studies of Acoustics in a Spherical Couette Flow," Landry Horimbere, Douglas Stone, John Rodgers, and Dan Lathrop, 58th Annual Meeting of the APS Division of Plasma Physics, October 31-November 4, 2016, San Jose, CA.
- "Non-Gaussian Estimation of a Two-Vortex Flow Using a Lagrangian Sensor Guided by Output Feedback Control," Francis D. Lagor, Amy Davis, Kayo Ide, and Derek A. Paley, 2016 American Control Conference, July 6-8, 2016, Boston, MA.
- "Shocks and Similarities After Elastic Cord Reconnection," Rémi Boros, Mara Mishner, Ed Ott, Stuart Antman, and Daniel P. Lathrop, ECC 2016: 14th Experimental Chaos and Complexity Conference, May 16-19, 2016, Banff, AB, Canada.
- "3D imaging of particle-scale rotational motion in cyclically driven granular flows," Matt Harrington, Dylan Powers, Eric Cooper, and Wolfgang Losert, APS March Meeting 2016, March 14-18, 2016, Baltimore, MD.
- "The Effect of Shot Noise on Synchronization between Coupled Photon-Counting Feedback Loops," Jae Young Chang, Dynamics Days 2016, January 7-10, 2016, Durham, NC.
- "A Mechanism for Helium-3 Abundance Enhancements in Solar Flares," Nicholas McGreivy, Marc Swisdak, James Drake, and S Peter Gary, AGU Fall Meeting 2015, December 14-18, 2015, San Francisco, CA.
- "Electromagnetic Cavities as an Analog to Chaos Regularization of Quantum Tunneling Rates," Rachel Owen and John Rodgers, APS March Meeting, March 2-6, 2015, San Antonio, TX.
- "Suppressing SBS through Chaotic Phase Modulation," Rafael Setra, ACC Meeting of the Minds Undergraduate Research Conference, April 3-5, 2014, Pittsburgh, PA.
- "Electrical Charging of Granular Media in a Shaking Experiment," Freja Nordsiek, Allison Bradford, Tyler Holland-Ashford, Julia Salevan, Eric Spieglan, and Daniel Lathrop, APS March Meeting, March 3-7, 2014, Denver, CO.
- "Rejuvenation of a Cesium-Based Dispenser, Photocathode in Response to Atmospheric Contamination," Alexandra Day, North American Particle Accelerator Conference, September 29 - October 4, 2013, Pasadena CA.
- "Rejuvenation of a Cesium-Based Dispenser, Photocathode in Response to Atmospheric Contamination," Alexandra Day, Wellesley College Ruhlman Conference, April 24, 2013, Wellesley, MA.
- "Rejuvenation of a Cesium-Based Dispenser, Photocathode in Response to Atmospheric Contamination," Alexandra Day, Northeast Conference for Undergraduate Women in Physics, January 18-20, 2013, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY.
- "Strain Effects on Impact Dynamics," Emily Lim, DTRA Basic Research Technical Review, 2013, Springfield, VA.
- "Strain Effects on Impact Dynamics," Emily Lim, APS March Meeting 2013, March 18-22, 2013, Baltimore, MD.
- "Explosive Percolation in Directed Networks," Diego Alcala, Dynamics Days 2013, January 3-6. 2013, Denver, CO.
- "Bio-Inspired Sensing and Control of an Underwater Vehicle in a Karman Vortex Street," L. DeVries and D. A. Paley, SIAM Conference on Applications of Dynamical Systems, May 19-23, 2013, Snowbird, UT.
- "Evolution of a Nonlinear System - Route to Chaos," Haneih Nejadriahi, St. Olaf College, Physics Poster Session, 2013, Northfield, MN.
- "Explosive percolation in Directed Networks," Katherine Sytwu, Rutgers 108th Statistical Mechanics Conference, Rutgers University, December 16-18, 2012, New Brunswick, NJ.
- "Local Synchronization in Complex Networks of Coupled Oscillators," John Stout, Matthew Whiteway, Edward Ott, Michelle Girvan, and Thomas M. Antonsen, Dynamics Days Conference, January 5-8, 2011, Chapel Hill, NC.
- "Fabrication and Measurement of Efficient, Robust Cesiated Dispenser Photocathodes," E. J. Montgomery, D. W. Feldman, P. G. O'Shea, Z. Pan, N. A. Moody, and K. L. Jensen, Particle Accelerator Conference 2007, June 25-29, 2007, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- "Demonstration and Characterization of Alkali Antimonide Dispenser Photocathodes," E. J. Montgomery, D. W. Feldman, P. G. O'Shea, Z. Pan, N. Sennett, K. L. Jensen, et al., DEPS Direct Energy Symposium, November 5-8, 2007, Huntsville, Alabama, 2007.
- "Noise-Enhanced Stability of Attractor Ruins in Semiconductor Laser System with Optical Feedback," Nathaniel Karst, Dynamics Days 2007, January 3-6, 2007, Boston, MA.
- "Experimental Progress Toward Low Workfunction Controlled Porosity Dispenser Photocathodes," N. A. Moody, K. L. Jensen, D. W. Feldman, A. M. Balter, P. G. O'Shea, J. L. Shaw, J. E. Yater, 28th International Free Electron Laser Conference, August 27 - September 1, 2006, Berlin, Germany.
- "Fractal Patterns in Chaotic Fluid Mixing," Amir Ahmadi and Jennifer Rieser (with T. M. Antonsen, E. Ott, and Y.-K. Tsang), Dynamics Days 2006, January 4-7, 2006, Bethesda, MD.
- "Laser with Feedback in a Crisis: Transition from Dropouts to Coherence Collapse," Bethany Adams and Nathaniel Karst, Dynamics Days 2006, January 4-7, 2006, Bethesda, MD.
- "Chaotic Communications with Mutually Coupled Ring Lasers," Adam Cohen, Elizabeth Rogers, and Rajarshi Roy, Dynamics Days 2005, January 7-10, 2005, Long Beach, CA.
- "The Effect of Bandwidth Limitations on the Synchronization of Mackey-Glass Systems," Chris Sramek, Min-Young Kim, Atsushi Uchida, Vasily Dronov, and Rajarshi Roy, Dynamics Days 2005, January 7-10, 2005, Long Beach, CA.
- "Measurements of Low Workfunction Cesiated Metals for Use in Dispenser Photocathodes," N. A. Moody, D. W. Feldman, K. L. Jensen, P. G. O'Shea, A. M. Balter, Free Electron Laser Conference 2005, August 21-26, 2005, Stanford University, Stanford, CA.
- "Photoemission from Coated Surfaces: Comparison of Theory to Experiment," K. L. Jensen, D. W. Feldman, N. A. Moody, P. G. O'Shea, A. M. Balter, Free Electron Laser Conference 2005, August 21-26, 2005, Stanford University, Stanford, CA.
- "Chaos in a Diode-Transmission Line Ciruit," Marshall Miller and Alexander Glasser (with T. M. Antonsen, E. Ott, and S. M. Anlage), Dynamics Days 2004, January 2-5, 2004, Chapel Hill, NC.
- "Dynamic Shear Band Dependence on Particle Size, Katherine Newhall, APS Division of Fluid Dynamics Meeting, November 21-23, 2004, Seattle, WA
- "Laser Tweezer Manipulation of Dictyostelium during Chemotaxis," R. Skupsky, C. Poole, C. Vance, R. Smith, Wolfgang Losert, American Society for Cell Biology Annual Meeting, December 4-8, 2004, Washington, D.C.
- "Generalized Synchronization of Spatio-Temporal Chaos," Rita R. Kalra, Elizabeth Rogers, Atsushi Uchida, and Rajarshi Roy, Nonlinear Science Gordon Research Conference, August 3-8, 2003, Tilton, NM.
- "Demonstration of Synchronization and Communication with Mackey-Glass Electronic Circuit Systems," David T. Sodaitis, Vasily Dronov, Min-Young Kim, Atsushi Uchida, and Rajarshi Roy, Nonlinear Science Gordon Research Conference, August 3-8, 2003, Tilton, NH.
- "Modeling HIF Relevant Longitudinal Dynamics in UMER," B. Beaudoin, S. Bernal, C. Blanco, I. Haber, R. A. Kishek, T. Koeth, and Y. Mo, 19th International Symposium on Heavy Ion Inertial Fusion, Aug. 12-17, 2012, Berkeley, CA.
- "Performance and Preparation of a Prototype Dispenser Photocathode," N. A. Moody, K. L. Jensen, D. W. Feldman, A. M. Balter, P. G. O'Shea, E. J. Montgomery, J. L. Shaw, J. E. Yater, Ninth Annual Directed Energy Symposium, October 2 - November 2, 2006, Albuquerque, NM.
- "Adaptive Regenerable Photocathodes for High Brightness Free Electron Lasers," N. A. Moody, K. L. Jensen, D. W. Feldman, A. M. Balter, P. G. O'Shea, J. L. Shaw, J. E. Yater, BAE Systems Colloquium Series, February 1, 2006, Washington, DC.
- "Low-Workfunction Dispenser Photocathodes for RF-Photoinjectors," N. A. Moody, K. L. Jensen, D. W. Feldman, A. M. Balter, P. G. O'Shea, J. L. Shaw, J. E. Yater, Cornell University Accelerator Physics Seminar, January 10, 2006.
- "Low-Workfunction Dispenser Photocathodes," N. A. Moody, K. L. Jensen, D. W. Feldman, A. M. Balter, P. G. O'Shea, J. L. Shaw, J. E. Yater, Eighth Annual Directed Energy Symposium, November 14-18, 2005, Lihue, HI.
Top of page