In addition to diversifying our regular seminar series, this committee seeks to welcome social scientists and experts on anti-racism, so as to bring about an active conversation in the IREAP community on the topics of race, diversity, equity, and justice.
Through sensitivity training and workshops on educating our community on systemic injustice and implicit bias, we hope to help IREAP and UMD confront the racism that is built into the way academic institutions across the country work.
Each of our events will be generally centered around one of the following themes (though some events might blend themes!):
- Learn: These events will be mostly educational, presenting new information to attendees
- Reflect: These events will be mostly about introspection and sharing or personal thoughts and feelings
- Celebrate: These events will be centered on lifting and giving visibility to the accomplishments and contributions of people of color
- Discuss: These events will elicit thinking, processing, and sharing
- Debate: These events will provide a safe but brave platform to normalize conflict and embrace it as a tool for growth