Graduate Student Seminars for Spring 2023 will be held in Room 1207 Energy Research Facility at 11:45 AM
The winners of the Graduate Student Seminar Best Presentation Award for Fall 2022 were:
First Place - Nicole Menkart, "Single Photon Detection: Basics, Challenges, and Probability Distribution Corrections in Avalanche Photodiodes" (Advisors: Profs. Thomas Murphy and Rajarshi Roy)
Second Place - Evan Dowling, "Non-local Polarization Alignment and Control in Fiber Using Feedback Measurements of Entangled Photons" (Advisors: Profs. Thomas Murphy and Rajarshi Roy)
Third Place - Andrew Goffin, "The Effect of Pulse Duration on the Longitudinal Structure of Femtosecond Filaments" (Advisor: Prof. Howard Milchberg)
The mission of the IREAP Graduate Student Seminars is to give graduate students the opportunity to practice short presentations of their work. This is a stepping stone for preparing them for Ph.D. proposals, their thesis defense, or even conference presentations. It is a valuable skill for all professionals, and students should be eager to present their work.
Please arrive by 11:50 as the talks will begin promptly at 12:00 p.m. All talks will be informal with an approximate duration of 20 minutes and an additional 10 minutes for questions. There should not be any stress since there is no evaluation committee coming up with grilling questions. Everyone is welcome to be in the audience.
After the conclusion of each talk, graduate students in the audience will fairly rate the speaker on a scale of 1-5 for Technical Merit and on a scale of 1-5 for Presentation. The total score will be averaged and the highest scoring speakers at the semester's end will receive a monetary prize for "Best Presentation."
- January 27, 2023 - Artur Perevalov, "How to Navigate Submitting Your Thesis to the Graduate School"
- February 3, 2023 - Elaine Jaross, "The Three Meter Experiment: Achieving an Earth-like Dynamo in the Lab"
- February 10, 2023
- February 17, 2023
- February 24, 2023
- March 3, 2023 - Manh Le, "Spatiotempporal Optical Vortices and Relativistic Optical Guiding"
- March 10, 2023 - Fengyu Liu, "Phase Noise Analysis for Microwaves Generated with Kerr Optical Frequency Combs"
- March 17, 2023
- March 31, 2023
- April 7, 2023
- April 14, 2023 - Anna Fitzmaurice, "Kinetic Plasma Simulations of Ion-Scale Waves Generated by Flare-Accelerated Ions"
- April 21, 2023
- April 28, 2023
- May 5, 2023
For additional information regarding the IREAP Graduate Student Seminar series, please contact email@example.com.